Pilates focuses on and can improve:
- Awareness of body
- Breath control
- Centring - use of deep stabilising muscles
- Expend less energy on more efficient movement
- Functional strength and flexibility
- Precision movement
- Retrains poor movement patterns
Our aim is to help you:
- Manage your condition
- Support your physical journey
- Optimize your health
- Stay pain free
We offer individual and group classes run by our Pilates trained Physiotherapists and Clinical Pilates Practitioner. We work as a team (that includes you) to improve your physical function and eliminate your pain.
We will tailor a program that suits your needs and goals, whether that is improving your everyday movement and posture or enhancing your athletic performance and reducing risk of injury.
Once you gain awareness of your body, you can progress Pilates with confidence, realising that movements you thought impossible are achievable. Build your body uniformly starting with your "core" (abdominal cylinder) providing the stable platform for free moving limbs.
Achieve great endurance of your skeletal stabilising muscles, and strength of your movement muscles. Pilates connects your brain to your body, enhancing and optimising movement.
Preparation for Pilates may involve using the Real Time Ultrasound to assess your deep muscles.
Physiotherapists use real-time ultrasound to examine how the deep stabilising muscles of the spine are functioning. This assessment screens if the core muscles of the spine or what we now refer to as “abdominal cylinder” or “canister” muscles of the trunk, are being recruited ideally to best support the spine.
What is involved?
A specially trained physiotherapist will measure the function, the hold time and overall contraction sequences between your muscles. This is performed in different positions and can be customised for each individual.
Real time ultrasound is safe, effective non-invasive and pain free. A small ultrasound head and water soluble gel are placed on various muscles and the images are viewed on a screen. Images can be recorded and measured for future comparison.
Who needs Real Time Ultrasound assessment?
Real time ultrasound is recommended for a wide range of conditions including:
- Low back pain (acute, chronic or recurrent),
- Pelvic girdle pain - sacroiliac joint pain or excess pelvic joint movement
- Preparation for motherhood
- Post-natal recovery
- Prolapse signs and symptoms
- Bladder dysfunction –unwanted bladder leakage
- Weak pelvic floor muscle contraction
- Computer posture symptoms
- Thoracic pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Hip pain
- Knee pain
- Foot pain
- Pre and post spinal surgery
- Post hip, knee replacement
Your Clinical Pilates exercise program is unique to you, and targeting the movement patterns that will assist in eliminating your symptoms. The physiotherapists and Pilates Practitioner will guide you to wake up the important postural stabilising muscles of the spine, "core muscles". Working these important postural stabilising muscles is the secret to prevent reoccurrence of musculoskeletal issues.
We offer individual and group classes run by our Pilates trained Physiotherapists and Pilates Practitioners. We work as a team (that includes you) to improve your physical function and eliminate your pain.
Please call 03 97761287 or book online for a Preparation for Pilates session for one hour duration.
CLINICAL PILATES PACKAGE
- Preparation for Pilates with Physiotherapist - one hour - (rebates available from private health funds)
- Physiotherapy/Real time ultrasound session – 1 to 3 sessions if required to learn how to engage your important “core” abdominal cylinder including transverse abdominus, deep back “multifidis”, “pelvic floor”, scapula (shoulder blade) muscles. Learn how to correctly perform diaphragmatic healthy breathing.
- One to one Pilates Practitioner/Physio Assistant – one hour - (rebates available from private health funds)
- Following Preparation for Pilates you will then proceed to the Pilates studio and have a 1:1 Pilates session with the Pilates Instructor who is also a Physiotherapy Assistant. This means you can claim the session on your health insurance. The Pilates Instructor and you will decide if you need more 1:1 sessions before commencing to group classes.
- The next step is joining a Pilates Group
- 10 x Pilates package is $350 ($35 per class - rebates available from private health funds)
- 5 x Pilates package is $200 ($40 per class - rebates available from private health funds)
Small groups generally no more than four, peak times maximum of five – 1 hour duration – (rebates available)
Private health fund rebates are available. On completion of your 5 or 10 pack you will receive receipts for all sessions which you are then able to claim with your private health fund. The code used for claiming is 560 Physiotherapy Group Therapy.
*** Private Health Funds offer clients health/lifestyle management programs where you can claim exercise sessions taken by an appropriately qualified Pilates instructor. Debbi Fretus, our Pilates Practitioner has these qualifications. Please contact your Private Health Fund to find out if you qualify for any of these packages***.
Bookings are essential. Online booking is available however you will need to complete Preparation for Pilates before you can book online into a group.
If you are unable to attend your group Pilates time you can make up that class by joining another group in the same week subject to class availability. You cannot carry the missed class to the next wek.
No refunds can be given on partial completion of packages unless there is a sound medical reason and a medical certificate provided.
24 hours notice is required for all cancellations or the full fee shall be charged.
Please bring a small hand towel, water bottle and comfortable clothes for exercise.